So, your website needs an overhaul. No problem. In fact, Joe Tyburski, senior web designer at Compulse Integrated Marketing, says you should update your website every four years. These updates should include your website’s content.
If you’re hoping to win certain searches for SEO, updates should come even more regularly than that. We’re talking monthly, weekly, or even daily.
But let’s say winning search isn’t your primary goal. Why is it so important to keep your content updated every few years, even if your company’s services have not changed?
One of the main reasons relates to how all industries change. Whatever your business specializes in, the industry standard for that which you offer evolves over time. While the gist of what you have to offer may still be the same in 2021 as it was in 2017, the details regarding how you go about your operations will have changed, even if those changes were minor.
Assuming it’s been a while since your last content overhaul, here are some quick-hit tips for updating your site’s copy:
- Know your business. No one knows the nature of your company’s services better than you. Before you sit down to change up your website, review everything you have to offer — specifically that which you plan to update.
- Keep it short. If winning SEO is your goal, this advice is not exactly pertinent, as your copy will likely need to be longer to persuade Google you know what you’re talking about. If you’re just trying to update your brand for those who already know your business, keep things brief. Short and sweet is the key here; customers don’t want to spend hours reading about what you do. Instead, they want to find the information they’re looking for quickly and without hassle.
- Prioritize. If you own an auto parts store, you might not need a product or service page with detailed copy for every part or piece of equipment you sell. Instead, focus on your bigger money-makers and give them the attention they deserve. You can list all other products of note on one simple product page — a page that prompts users to call you if they have further questions.
- Check it twice. Nothing screams “unprofessional” like a slew of spelling and grammar mistakes. You don’t need your content to feel like it was written by the latest Pulitzer Prize winner, but you want it to be clean. If you need to, hire a professional copy editor to review your content. The experts at Compulse Integrated Marketing can help with this.
- Update your site regularly. Remember: waiting four years is the longest you should break between content updates. The more regularly you can update your content, the more relevant your site will be. Oh, and did we mention how much less work you’ll need to do when it comes time to add new copy? Sounds like a win-win.
Compulse Integrated Marketing is a full-service digital agency located in Baltimore, Maryland. To learn more about how we can help you reach your marketing goals, please contact us for more information.