Memorial Day can be a tricky holiday. Memorial Day’s purpose is to remember those who died in active military service. While many people have cookouts and parties, this holiday is really about celebrating the lives of real American heroes.
How can you successfully market your company in a positive way on Memorial Day?
Show your support for troops and veterans that sacrificed their lives for our country by honoring them on your social media channels.
- Create a post to get your audience to share their stories about family members/friends who served.
- Create a photo gallery featuring employees that are veterans.
- Create a Facebook ad for an exclusive special for active service members and their families or to promote a Memorial Day Sale.
- Create a mobile or social media contest asking for your audience to share their veteran stories.
- Create a graphic to say Thank You to All That Served. Your audience will be prompt to share on their social media pages as well.
- Start a hashtag campaign asking fans to give thanks to those who served. It may have a chance to become a trending hashtag depending on how active your following is.
- Post photos on Instagram of veterans (it can be employees or influencers) with a quick blurb summarizing their stories.
- Ask fans to submit their veteran stories. Throughout the day, you can post a photo along with a description from fans.
- Create a board pinning veterans that are known nationally or known locally.
- Create a board of Memorial Day imagery (ex. the American Flag, American Troops of the past, men in uniform, etc).
As the holiday that starts off the summer, this is a great time to showcase why your product is relevant to the holiday and how you are an expert in your craft.
What should you consider when creating your newsletter for Memorial Day?
- Start highlighting your sales, promo codes, specials and items early – at least three weeks in advance.
- Create a mobile coupon and include the coupon in your newsletter (ex. Have an offer for Veterans requiring they show identification to receive the discount).
- Boost up your e-newsletter language with words that grab your audience’s attention like SUPPORT TROOPS or THANK YOU TO ALL THAT SERVED.
- Create an e-newsletter to promote a discount on merchandise.
- Create an e-newsletter to showcase why your business is the best place for Memorial Day merchandise and have a sale on Memorial Day related products.